BYS 005 - Julie Martin - BY YOUR SIDE center director
Julie Martin is the center director, as well as the lead SLP and BCBA, of BY YOUR SIDE autism center. In this episode, we spend the full podcast discussing why it’s sometimes difficult for a child to transition from one place to another and tips on how those transitions can be made easier. The conversation moves into the topic of change, which as Julie points out, is the same as transition, yet can have its own set of challenges.
In this episode, we’ll cover:
- Talk about how the smallest changes to the child’s environment can have huge effects.
- Do you have to prepare differently for major changes compare to minor changes?
- What does Julie mean by a child’s “North Star” and how does that affect them.
- Change is a feeling of loss of control and how to give the child some control back.
- Your child is having a melt-down right in the middle of a store. What can you do?
- What is ABA and what it truly means.
This is a partnership between us and the listeners.
We need you, the listener, to help shape this show.
First, we ask that you leave a review for us on iTunes. This is a very important piece to the success of any podcast, and we are striving to provide the best content possible for people who live with autism in their lives. We can’t thank you enough for that support.
Secondly, word of mouth is the most powerful way to let other know about our podcast. Please tell a friend or share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this post.
Finally, and most important, we want to hear from you. Please send us an email with questions you would like us to ask the therapists, we will be devoting full shows on just email questions. We would also love to hear your suggestions, tips, and even ideas for future guests.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes. It’s free!
Thank you for listening.