BYS 003 - Theresa Petru- Speech-Language Pathologist
Theresa is a certified licensed Speech-Language Pathologist holding a Master’s of Science from Governor’s State University. Prior to working at BY YOUR SIDE Theresa gained extensive experience working with children with a variety of speech-language disorders including Autism in both public and private school settings. Theresa has received training in PECS, Kaufman Protocol for Children with Apraxia, Stanley Greenspan’s Floortime/DIR model, and S.O.S. feeding.
In this episode, we’ll cover:
- Theresa discusses why imitation is the stepping stone to words.
- Explains the importance of how a connection with the child can lead to better communication.
- Tips for eye contact and what to do when not getting eye contact.
- What parents should be looking for in terms of benchmarks and why patience is need for both therapists and parents for a child’s communication.
- The importance of “independent play” and how to include it effectively into therapy.
- Discusses the advantages of a multi-disciplinary therapy model.
This is a partnership between us and the listeners.
We need you, the listener, to help shape this show.
First, we ask that you leave a review for us on iTunes. This is a very important piece to the success of any podcast, and we are striving to provide the best content possible for people who live with autism in their lives. We can’t thank you enough for that support.
Secondly, word of mouth is the most powerful way to let other know about our podcast. Please tell a friend or share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this post.
Finally, and most important, we want to hear from you. Please send us an email with questions you would like us to ask the therapists, we will be devoting full shows on just email questions. We would also love to hear your suggestions, tips, and even ideas for future guests.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes. It’s free!
Thank you for listening.